George Brown & Sons Engineers
How it all began... as a Smiths shop, opposite Leith library on the corner of Great Junction St and Ferry Road.
The firm evolved from a blacksmith’s business in premises on Ferry Road, opposite the public library. The work consisted of overhauling sailing ship running and cargo handling gear, as well as dockside cargo and handling equipment.
This is a transcript of the above document, which was part of the specification of the original premises;
'Specification of joiner work required & establishment for a a smiths shop & house for William Brown. Iron beams to be all the length of the house, house with a post below each 9 or 10 foot in height each of the beams to be 10in by 6in pine wood & white used between 18in support. The whole length of the house within is 28 feet by 21 feet & the roof to be Scots fir & this & the couple lugs to be 18in supported at 6in deep & 2in thick, for the sum this is all required in the estimate. Fourth July 1835.'
Original specification for the building of the Smiths shop and house, dated 1835