George Brown & Sons Engineers
There was further development during the 1914-1918 war and up until 1924. The next 10 years, however, were grim. Survival was a success story.
A boatbuilder had been employed from 1930 and small craft were built at Ballantyne Road. There is a picture of a pilot boat being launched by crane at 5/6 Shore about 1937. The last boat built was a small tender for the Northern Lighthouse Board’s most northerly lighthouse at Muckle Flugga in Shetland.
1. Picture of the non ferrous foundry in the Tower Street workshop that we still occupy today.
2. The same workshop now.
3. The launching of a pilot boat on the Shore, 8 May 1938. The top floor of the workshops were removed after a fire in 1943 and rebuilt in 1945 to the current arrangements.