George Brown & Sons Engineers
At the start of the 1939-45 war steelmakers were employed to make boilers, and a joinery section was started. The steelmakers were based at the Shore, and the joiners at Broadwynd. Further ground was purchased for the erection of a sawmill and joinery workshop. These new trades, allied to the originals, meant that ship overhauls became possible, and this meant increased turnover during the War period.
The 1939/45 War provided many opportunities, and all departments were fully employed. One patrol vessel was refitted after hitting a mine near the May island. It sailed on completion, hit another mine, and was towed back to Leith for more major repair. This was the initial impact of the German campaign of dropping magnetic mines from the air. As a result of this the George Brown & Sons gained much business degaussing ships by installing electric cable around the vessel to counteract the magnetic field.
Typical ship repair work being carried out in the Imperial drydock. This was the Scotia that was later outfitted for the Icelandic cold war in 1972.